Monday, August 07, 2006

Why Do They Do It?

From time to time I supplement my income, and get health insurance, with work through a contract agency. Last one I worked for, oh hell, it was Optimal Engineering, took extreme pains to falsify my COBRA paperwork. Why in the name of all that is holy would they do that? They backdated a letter that by law they had 30 days to write. They took special pains to mail me a letter on 8/1/06 that informed me if I didn't reply by 7/31/06, they would cancel my insurance. When I called them on it, they said the back date was a typo, and they wouldn't touch my insurance for 60 days. Except, when I went online to BCBS today, I was informed my insurance was canceled. I called, and sure enough, as of 8/1/06, I had no health insurance. It's no biggie in the long run, the insurance will be restored retroactively. But why falsify the letter, and lie to me? They cost themselves an employee, future employees (I'm not referring anyone I know to these twits), and perhaps a client or three. Worse, I am refering this to the Department of Labor and the IRS, since they have, apparently, violated federal law regarding COBRA rules. It seems they are fans of the Garek character in ST:DS9, of whom it was said "Why tell the truth when a lie would work just as well." But you know, lying for the sake of lying is just plain stupid.

No comments: