Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Finally, I Can Speak

For most of the past year I have been working at the Truck Development and Technology Center (TDTC) of Navistar, manufacturer of Internation trucks. It was my first exposure to the automotive industry, and I have come to one major conclusion: I am overjoyed I drive a Scion XB by Toyota, and not some American made camel.

Yes, CAMEL! By the time a design makes it to production, it has been touched by EVERYONE, with each touch resulting in a compromise. I will have more to say soon, but had to post something now. Trust me, 12 months of watching purchasing decisions made based on friendships, ego battles and pure bribary, watching engineering decisions made to insure we never take a next step, just a slow crawl forward. And don't get me started about mis-management, or having to answer questions like "how long will it take to complete this 5 hour task" when it should take 5 weeks!

OK, enough for now, I need to breathe a bit.

No comments: